Tuesday, August 10, 2010

You Guys . . . I've Lost My Mojo!

Everything I've tried to do lately has FAILED. Every innocent action like baking cookies to job hunting . . . I somehow manage to goof it up!
I tried to learn how to do a retro pin curl look for you (inspired by this post) and was so looking forward to a victorious show of my new look. Well . . . this was my best attempt:

 I was close, but the results were too uneven to wear down.  So, I pulled my hair back into a chignon.
OK,  getting better. Now to let the last curl down . . . 
NOPE. NO. NOT A REAL THING. 
After much fussing, this is what I managed. (Yes, this really was the least stupid picture I could get of myself on my phone. I now have DOZENS of truly embarrassing pictures on my hard drive.)



Has anybody else experimented with retro waves? Teach me! 
Before anybody asks, here's what I'm wearing on my face:

On my brow bone - MAC Llama
Across the whole lid- MAC Honesty
In the crease - MAC Embark and MAC Beautyburst
The inner corner - MAC Retrospeck
Liner- MAC Embark
Lipstick- Victoria's Secret Don't Stop

My next attempt/flop was baking my favorite cookies! You would think, as a former prize winning baker, that baking cookies I love would be pretty easy. Plus, my kitchen is operational again! It's missing a few parts (you'll see in the pictures), but using the oven was pretty exciting. I thought I would finally have something to show off to you. Oh, no. 

I ran out of flour AND sugar while making these. I made a half batch and added extra cocoa. These cookies have two kinds of PEPPER in them. See the spices? 

Can you spot my secret ingredient? Meanwhile, I've lost all cookie cutters. 
Symmetry is clearly not my talent. Also, keeping pastry bags from exploding.  Spot where things went wrong?
Whateves. They tasted the same! Here's the recipe (Taken from Martha Stewart):

3/4 pound unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4-6 oz melted chocolate (for drizzle or dipping)

Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until fluffy. Sift dry ingredients together and then beat them into the butter mixture. If it seems too soft, add 1/4 cup more flour. Divide the dough into thirds and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least one hour. 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 
Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick on a floured surface. Cut into whatever shape you want. The orig. recipe suggests hearts, and supposedly if you cut a zig-zag into the top the heart will "break" while baking. This has NEVER happened all the times I've made these. What you lay on the pan is pretty much what you get. Let me know if you ever manage it, though!
Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool, then drizzle the cookies with chocolate!

Try these! It seems odd at first, but I really love the spiciness. I wish you much better luck at your attempts! 

1 comments:

DH said...

Even this post is a fail! What the balls is with those boxes? Sorry!