Friday, February 11, 2011

Google Art Project

Google Art Project  is AMAZING! The site is an extension of Google Maps, but takes you into some of the best museums in the world! As an Art History Minor - I'm beyond thrilled! I've always held that access to art is vital and should always be FREE. Art Project allows users to experience beautiful works that they otherwise would not be able to see.  There are so many features to choose from, check out  the video about the features below:

I'm totally mesmerized by this site! I've been exploring the Uffizi Gallery for the last couple of days, trying to absorb all that I can - and I've been there in person- TWICE! Being able to see works so close is such a luxury. I am discovering a new appreciation for artists and techniques that I did not have before.
For example, I was not such a fan of the well-known Botticelli painting "The Birth Of Venus". Look how Art Project changes my viewing experience of a painting that I studied in class and experienced in person:
This is about as close as you can get in the gallery. That is, when you aren't waiting for a spot in front of the painting -it's very popular! 
Here is "textbook" version of the painting.
Here is one of Venus' eyes thanks to Google Art Project. It's so beautiful! I love seeing all the different minuscule marks on the iris that I could have never seen before. I knew the painting was complicated - but seeing all the work that went into it - WOW. The best part of all is that I can save all the sections I love and build a collection with my Google account!
What are you waiting for? Go check out the site and start building your collection! 

2 comments:

KellBell said...

Bravo on the new page header. Dynamite choice and reference, you classy lady.

DH said...

Thanks, Kells! I still need your help, though!!